Navarre Press Reporter
Navarre Press, a thriving and award-winning, Florida Press, America’s Newspaper, and AP member weekly in Northwest Florida, seeks an energetic reporter to deliver top-notch local coverage to our community of more than 65,000 area residents. We have been named best in the state seven times and have placed in the top three for the last 20 years.
We are followed by other journalists and publishing companies for our innovative approach. Many of our initiatives have becomes adopted by other weeklies and large dailies throughout the nation. Basically, we are trailblazers and change agents. A judge from Pennsylvania put it best; “If all newspapers looked (and read) like this one, there would be no more talk of newspapers dying.”
You will cover features and hard news, and you must be able to switch gears at a moment’s notice. We need a clean writer who will pitch unique enterprise and investigative stories and is not hesitant to tackle in-depth packages.
The successful candidate is intellectually curious, enjoys watchdog journalism and can work under tight deadlines. Our ideal reporter knows how to jump on breaking news for both print and digital platforms while also juggling planned stories and long-term enterprise projects. This person also is persistent and skilled at cultivating sources to uncover stories that matter to our readers. Ideal candidates are proactive reporters who will become part of the community. Our reporters are hardworking, self-motivated and able to write stories beyond meeting coverage and profiles. Some night and weekend work required.
We will consider recent journalism graduates who have completed an internship at another daily or weekly newspaper, with strong writing samples.
Concerned about advancement at a community paper? Don’t be. We have plenty of room for advancement at Navarre Press. And, we are high achievers. We feel the Pulitzer is within our reach. As you can tell we don’t think small.
Experience with InDesign, web and video a plus. We offer a beautiful beach community with a casual, low-ego, yet passionately dedicated work environment and competitive pay. You can see more about Navarre and Navarre Press at navarrepress.com/about. Also, we have had great success with broadcast journalists, so feel free to apply.
Please follow directions: Interested applicants will submit a cover letter that explains what they have to offer Navarre and Navarre Press, a resume and three clips in the form below.
- Reporting: 1 year (Preferred)
- Day Shift
- 8 hour shift
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible — enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented — would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented — enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/Independent — enjoys working with little direction
- Innovative — prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- High-stress tolerance — thrives in a high-pressure environment
This Job Is:
- A job for which military-experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
Job Type: Full-time Number of hires for this role: 1 Pay: $14.00 – $16.00 per hour
Access to the following benefits after three months: Telemedicine, dental and vision insurance, accident coverage, short-term disability, and critical illness and cancer Insurance. Matching 401K after two years of employment.
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible